Job Title: Development Assistant
Supervisor: Development Director
FLSA: Full Time, Non-Exempt Hourly
Mama’s Kitchen, a community-driven organization, believes that everyone is entitled to the basic necessity of life – nutritious food. Our nutrition services improve the lives of women, men, and children vulnerable to hunger due to HIV, cancer, or other critical illnesses.
Assist the Development Department in achieving the agency’s fundraising goals by overseeing the database management and donor acknowledgement functions and supporting Mama’s Kitchen’s development and communications activities.
In accordance with Board-approved policies and procedures, participate in all aspects of fundraising activities, including but not limited to:
- Database Management and Donor Acknowledgement:
- Serve as the primary database administrator. Identify opportunities and solutions to improve processes, data integrity and security. Develop and perform data clean-up and maintenance procedures.
- Document and maintain database procedures to ensure consistent & accurate data entry.
- Enter daily cash and in-kind gift batches into Raisers Edge fundraising system and maintain batch filing system.
- Produce accurate and timely donor acknowledgment letters and other donor correspondence, customized as appropriate.
- Update database records with address changes and relevant information to optimize donor stewardship and capture of institutional knowledge.
- Create queries, reports and exports to facilitate the organization’s mailing and reporting needs.
- Coordinate all design and printing processes for Development activities, including:
- Scheduling, bidding, and coordination with designers and other vendors to ensure timely production and mailing.
- Assisting the Marketing and Events Coordinator with the production and implementation of email marketing campaigns and printed event materials.
- Assisting the Director of Development with the production and implementation of direct mail campaigns.
- Maintain reference and collateral materials.
- Assist the Development Manager with assembling support materials for grant proposals.
- Special events assistance as needed for all Mama’s Kitchen fundraising and donor cultivation events; including registration and day-of event support as needed.
- Coordinates tasks for development department volunteers.
- As appropriate and when requested, attend committee meetings and take meeting minutes.
- Perform other administrative tasks as needed by the Development team; special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, with a major in nonprofit management, business, communications, or a related field preferred
Experience and Skills:
- Efficient data entry skills balanced with accuracy and attention to detail
- Preference will be given to candidates possessing prior knowledge of fundraising software programs (specifically Raiser’s Edge, Online Express, and the Classy platform), but training will be provided as needed.
- Highly proficient computer skills with demonstrated knowledge and practical application of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and desire to be a collaborative team player
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience working or volunteering with nonprofit organizations a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends
- Demonstrable compatibility with the core values of Mama’s Kitchen.
- Minimum of one year’s experience in an administrative setting, preferably within the development department of a nonprofit organization.
Working conditions: Ability to work in multi-person multi-activity office space. Position requires good communications skills and diplomacy in interfacing with staff, board members, volunteers and donors. Qualified candidate must have valid California Driver’s License, dependable car, clean DMV record and proof of car insurance.
To apply: Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter highlighting your interest in, and qualifications for, this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
We envision a community where all individuals with critical illnesses are no longer vulnerable to hunger.
Mama’s Kitchen Core Values
Dignity and Respect: Focus on the individual is at the heart of everything we do at Mama’s Kitchen. Mama’s Kitchen fosters a community where mutual respect and dignity are preserved by promoting humanity, compassion and empathy towards our clients, donors, volunteers and staff.
Reliability: Mama’s Kitchen is resourceful, efficient, and flexible. Our clients tell us that reliability is what sets Mama’s apart from other AIDS organizations.
Integrity: Guided by honesty, loyalty and a commitment to confidentiality, Mama’s Kitchen is responsive to the needs of all our clients, volunteers, donors and staff. We pride ourselves in doing what we say we are going to do.
Diversity: Mama’s Kitchen is an all-inclusive family. We foster a welcoming environment and embrace all members of the community without judgment.
Team Work: Mutual effort and unity are the ingredients that allow our mission to succeed.