Just because your water is clear does not mean it’s healthy! Many flavored water products are filled with sugar or artificial sweeteners.
While drinking any form of water is more beneficial than choosing a soda, there is a way to drink delicious flavored water without consuming additives, make your own flavored water!
There are limitless possibilities. You can choose fresh fruit flavors such as strawberry, orange or pineapple, or you can choose a vegetable-based flavored water by adding cucumber, beets or celery. Herbs such as basil, rosemary and mint leaves also can be used to add extra flavor. I think the best flavored water comes from a combination of all of the above! Making your own flavored water gives you the opportunity to select flavors you like best and customize each beverage you make.
Making your own flavored water involves a few simple steps:
- Choose your fresh fruits, vegetables and/or herbs.
- Thoroughly wash your produce.
- Slice or cut the produce however you prefer.
- Add all ingredients to a pitcher filled with cold water — hot water can make produce fall apart and compromise some of the nutrients.
- Let soak in the refrigerator overnight.
- Enjoy! And, if you want an extra nutrient boost, eat the produce!
The bottom line: Drink water without added sweeteners, artificial or natural, most of the time. If you drink processed water, do so in moderation — instead, find ways to add flavor naturally with fruits, vegetables and herbs.