Check out the recipes used in our 30th Annual Mama’s Day Culinary Cook-off! Featuring dishes from Sam “The Cooking Guy” Zien and Mama’s Kitchen Executive Chef Jason Martin.
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons white miso
1 tablespoon soy
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
6 large eggs
3/4 cup fresh bean sprouts
3/4 cup cooked shrimp, rough chopped
1/3 cup finely chopped or shredded green onions, plus more for garnish2 tablespoons oil for cooking
- Combine chicken stock, miso & soy in a small pot – warm over medium heat
- Mix cornstarch with water until smooth, then stir into stock mixture to thicken – keep warm
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat
- Beat the eggs well in a medium bowl, add green onions, bean sprouts and shrimp – stir well to combine
- Add the oil to the pan, making sure the bottom is covered, and
- slowly pour in the egg mixture
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until just set, then flip to cook the
- other side
- Once both sides are cooked, transfer to a plate and spoon some
- gravy over it
- Garnish with green onion
Tortillas – Good Quality Corn (Like La Tortilla Brand)
Pickled Miso Veggies
12oz Apple Cider Vinegar
½ tsp White Miso
1clove Garlic – thinly sliced
1ea Shallot – sliced thin
1ea Mini Sweet Red Bell Pepper – sliced thin
1ea Mini Sweet Yellow Bell Pepper – sliced thin
1ea Mini Sweet Orange Bell Pepper – sliced thin
1ea Mini Seedless Cucumber – sliced thin
5ea Radish (I used red/white/purple) – sliced thin
1pinch Red Chili Flakes
- Bring the water, vinegar, honey, salt, miso, and garlic to a quick boil. Remove from heat.
- Slice the vegetables and mix with red chili flakes.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the vegetables – allow to cool to room temperature.
- Can Be made ahead and refrigerated.
Edamame Miso Hummus
1oz Tahini Paste
2oz Lemon Juice
1oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1ea Garlic Clove, chopped
1 ½ cups Edamame, precooked peeled and ready to eat (can be purchased this way)
1 tsp White Miso Paste
½ cup Water, Room Temp
1 dash Yuzu Hot Sauce
1tsp Sesame Oil
- Place the Tahini, lemon juice, both oils, and garlic into the bowl of a food processor (blend until incorporated)
- Add the edamame, continue blending. While the motor is running add ¼ – ¾ cup water (only add enough until the hummus is the consistency you are looking for)
Carrot Slaw with Brown Miso Aioli
1cup Shredded Carrots
1oz Cilantro Chopped
1oz Spring Mix Lettuce, sliced thin
5 Tbsp Mayonnaise
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp Brown Miso
1 tsp Sambal Hot Sauce
1 tsp Coconut Aminos
½ ea Lime, Juiced
- Mix together the Mayo, Garlic, Miso, Hot Sauce, Coconut Aminos, and Lime Juice with a whisk until well incorporated
- Toss the greens with the dressing until well coated.
Miso Sake Prawns
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
2 tsp Brown Miso
1”pc Fresh Ginger, Minced (or grated)
1lb Wild Caught Shrimp / Prawns (cut in half length-wise down the vein)
- Cut the shrimp in half (length-wise) down the vein so that they look whole, but are thin.
- Marinate the shrimp with remaining ingredients for at least 15 minutes.
- Cook the shrimp over high heat in sesame oil / olive oil (until done) – anywhere from 45 seconds to 3 min depending on the size of the shrimp and heat of the pan. Do not overfill the pan.
- Decorate the plate by spreading your hummus as a base.
- Toast the tortillas over the flame (or in a pan) (flip with your hands like me for bonus points)(tongs also encouraged)
- Top the tortilla with the Carrot Slaw
- Top with the prawns
- Finally top with the pickled veggies
- Use a toothpick or skewer to plate the taco upright!