The year 2015 was full of accomplishment for Mama’s Kitchen.
- Our senior management team had the opportunity to step into the role of leading the organization (with much support from the board of directors) during a Fieldstone Foundation funded three-month sabbatical that I took between January and April, 2015.
- After thoughtful consideration, the board of directors voted to modify the fiscal year period from one ending December 31 to one ending June 30.
- September 2015 marked the 25th anniversary of Mama’s Kitchen, and we took advantage of the situation to acknowledge our history and celebrate the impact of Mama’s Kitchen in San Diego County.
- But most important, close to 1,400 lives were touched through the programs of Mama’s Kitchen.
- Over 345,000 meals were delivered to people affected by AIDS or cancer who were vulnerable to hunger.
- Mama’s Pantry had over 5,400 visits.
And as we look to the future, we are diligently working to assess how we can better serve San Diego. We have established two task forces: one to review our mission statement and another to explore our capacity for improving our social enterprise efforts (an important source of mission-supporting revenue for Mama’s). We have also established a quality improvement committee that has a goal of improving the quality and nutritional value of the services provided by Mama’s Kitchen.
In examining these areas, Mama’s Kitchen looks to improve responsiveness to the needs of the community, explore what more we can do to serve our community, and assure that we are providing the best possible service to the men, women, and children served by Mama’s Kitchen.
From our staff, board, and clients, we wish all the best in 2016 to everyone and send a heart-felt thank you for your continued involvement with Mama’s Kitchen. You make it happen.
With much gratitude,