Media Contact: Scatena Daniels Communications
San Diego – Sept. 21, 2017 – Many of San Diego’s top pastry chefs, caterers and bakeries will donate hundreds of traditional Thanksgiving pies for the 2017 Mama’s Pie in the Sky Thanksgiving Bake Sale. The fundraiser, now in its 13th year, benefits Mama’s Kitchen, a community-driven organization that provides nutrition services improving the lives of women, men and children vulnerable to hunger due to HIV, cancer or other critical illnesses. In 2016, the fundraiser was the biggest and most successful to date, netting more than $116,500 through pie sales and event sponsorships for the organization. This year, the non-profit hopes to surpass that goal raising $134,000 to fund more than 37,000 meals.
Sales begin Oct. 9 and continue through Nov. 19, 2017. Pie flavors are pumpkin, traditional apple, pecan and Dutch apple, and are available for just $25 each. Pies can be purchased online via www.mamaspies.org or by calling 619-233-6262.
“Mama’s Pie in the Sky has become a local tradition many San Diegans look forward to as they give thanks over the Thanksgiving holiday,” said Alberto Cortés, executive director, Mama’s Kitchen. “The price of just one delicious $25 pie allows us to serve eight nutritious meals to our neighbors affected by HIV, cancer or other critical illnesses.”
All proceeds from pie sales go directly to funding thousands of free, hot and nutritious Mama’s Kitchen meals, which help ensure no one living with HIV, cancer or other critical illnesses will go hungry in the San Diego community. Additional financial and in-kind support is provided by Sycuan, Wells Fargo, Jerome’s Furniture, Original Pancake House of Poway & Temecula and Bergelectric, while CBS Radio’s KYXY 96.5 and Energy 103.7 are the event’s media partner.
Volunteers will deliver the pies to 21 sites throughout San Diego County for pickup Wednesday, Nov. 22. On average, more than 30 bakers throughout San Diego County donate their time and resources to provide pies for Mama’s Pie in the Sky.
To date, 25 bakers have been confirmed – see full list below. Additional pie bakers are needed to help with the effort. Those interested in participating should contact Ben Coyle at 619-233-6262 ext. 112 or email@example.com.
- Andaz San Diego (Downtown)
- Barona Resort & Casino (Lakeside)
- Bear Buns Bakery and Café (Serra Mesa)
- Behind The Scenes Catering & Events (Mira Mesa)
- Brothers Signature Catering & Events (Mira Mesa)
- The French Gourmet (Pacific Beach)
- Handlery Hotel (Mission Valley)
- Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine (La Jolla)
- Jenny Wenny Cakes (Carmel Mountain Ranch)
- Just Call Us Volunteers (Clairemont)
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Center (San Diego)
- Kitchens for Good (Lincoln Park)
- Loews Coronado Bay Resort (Coronado)
- Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego (Downtown)
- Mook & Pop’s Culinary Delights (Scripps Ranch)
- Nine-Ten Restaurant (La Jolla)
- San Diego Cake Club (Clairemont)
- San Diego Convention Center (Downtown)
- Soleil@K (Downtown)
- Starry Lane Bakery (Hillcrest)*
- Stone Brewing (Escondido)
- Sycuan Casino (East County San Diego)
- Town and Country San Diego (Mission Valley)*
- Twiggs Bakery (Normal Heights)
- The Wild Thyme Company (Miramar)
NOTE: * denotes new baker to campaign
Individuals and teams are encouraged to volunteer to sell pies for a chance to win prizes from generous sponsors. Pie sellers are also encouraged to use their social media networks to promote their participation in Mama’s Pie in the Sky. For information on this year’s fundraising efforts or details on how to get involved, visit www.mamaspies.org or call 619-233-6262.