YES, we still need volunteers. Mama’s Kitchen is recognized by the County as an “essential business” and will continue to operate during California’s “shelter in place” order, with additional safety practices. Under direction from the County, volunteers are also deemed “essential” and allowed to continue working with us.
We will be operating with exceptionally lean volunteers to do our part to ensure safety and minimize the impact of the COVID-19 crisis. We are currently ONLY looking for volunteers for drivers and kitchen staging volunteers. In the uncertain times, we want to continue to build our list of available active and backup volunteers.
WHAT TO KNOW:
- We are still operating and delivering meals
- If you are healthy & NOT in a listed vulnerable population, you are still allowed to volunteer
- We are ONLY looking for volunteers for drivers and kitchen staging volunteers at this time
- We will be making modifications to our meal preparations, scheduled volunteer shifts, and delivery schedules.
- We may be scheduling additional weekend shifts
- Beginning immediately, our Pantry will be closed. (Pantry clients still needing assistance will be granted special permission to enroll in our Home Delivered Meal Service.)
STEP 1: Complete a Volunteer Application prior to orientation. Download it to your computer, fill it in, save it and email the saved file to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 2: Attend an orientation. Click here to view orientation days and times.
PLEASE NOTE: Our next two volunteer orientations will be held via GoToMeeting. Read below for details on how to access it.
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States (Toll Free): 1 877 309 2073
United States: +1 (646) 749-3129
Access Code: 721-260-669
New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts: https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/721260669
Step 3: Complete your volunteer application and background check (delivery driver volunteers) or reference checks (non-delivery driver)
Step 4: You’ll be added to our volunteer system and will receive emails regarding available shifts with instructions on how to sign up.
Key Volunteer Opportunities – High Need
• Pickup meals at kitchen or courier site for delivery to clients at their home
• Deliver all meals within a two-hour delivery window (generally 10-15 clients)
• Complete an annual background check (paid for by Mama’s Kitchen)
• Regular delivery days are Tuesday and Friday delivery with three varying 2-hour delivery windows, however during this times additional delivery windows may be scheduled
• Routes are available for weekly commitments or as you are available
• Package items for inclusion in lunch, breakfast, frozen, and/or cold bags
• Plate/package dinner meal items
• Place meals into bags before delivery
• Follow all food safety requirements and staff instructions
• Typically, morning shifts each weekday from 8:30-11:30am, however during these times, shift schedule may vary
• Other varying shifts available as needed